Thursday, January 22, 2009

Historymaker?

Sunday we got the chance to go to the band Delirious's first concert in China. Some of you might not be familiar with them--they're one of the more well-known Christian bands. They wrote the song "I Could Sing of Your Love (Over the Mountains and the Sea)". Although in recent years I haven't really kept up with their music, one of their earlier CDs had a huge impact on me when I was in high school, so I wanted to check out the show.

The venue was a small local club, perched atop several floors of high-class KTVs (karaoke bars). It was a marked contrast from the last time I saw them, a 30,000+ person Christian music festival that I was volunteering at. A welcome one.

Early in the set, as Martin was talking about how incredible it was that they were finally able to play a show in China, he mentioned that they weren't allowed to play many of their songs. It cast a slightly ominous mood over the show, but it also brought the audience together in focus.

The concert was remarkably refreshing for me. From the boisterous moments of worship to the "Here I am, send me" anthems, the energy in the room was powerful. As the audience warmed up and began to jump, sing, shout, dance, it felt as if all of us were emerging from a long silence, from whispered words and hushed tones, erupting in praise as one voice.

"History Maker" was a sharp reminder for me to remember to dream big. To believe that, with Help, any of us can change history:

I want to be a history maker in this land.
I want to be a speaker of truth to all mankind.
I'm gonna stand.
I'm gonna run into your arms.

Youtube's already got some clips from the show:

No comments: